Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Kings fans to Stanley Cup champs -- yawn!

I just received an email from the Kings this morning about tickets still being available for Thursday night's game against the Stanley Cup champion Pittsburgh Penguins. Sure enough, I clicked over to the Ticketmaster site and there appear to be a lot of tickets available for the game.

This is the Penguins' only game in L.A. this season, so it's a rare chance to see Sidney Crosby and Co. play. Plus the Kings are faring well so far this season -- funny what happens when the team realizes scoring some goals is a good thing.

I've been to three games this season and two of them had significant swaths of empty seats. I don't know if it's just this is early in the season and the Kings were up against the Dodgers, Angels and USC football. Or maybe it's just that the Kings don't remain much of a draw. I know if I ran the team I'd be thinking long and hard about what it takes to create a fan base here -- and I'd be thinking that playing thrasher music at high levels during games and running strobe lights isn't quite doing the trick.

In any event, I'm going to the game tomorrow night and Saturday against Nashville -- in a luxury box! -- and am stoked to watch some professional hockey despite all the stupid music and strobe lights that the Kings feel is necessary to make the game exciting.

--Steve Hymon

No comments:

Post a Comment