Tuesday, April 27, 2010

What happens when an NHLer shows up for your rink's pickup game

This is one of the funnier hockey stories I've read lately, via the Birmingham News. It's about a member of the Atlanta Thrashers, Max Afinogenov, who showed up for a pickup game at an Alabama rink and then, predictably, ends up scoring the vast majority of goals in the game -- and playing for both teams.

My favorite part:
This being hockey, you know someone had to try to take the Russian on.

"Not one guy walked away without saying they went after him," Cheeseman said.

 "One of the guys asked me, 'What do you think would happen if I give him a shoulder?' I said, 'The guy plays in the same league with (well known NHL tough guy) Chris Pronger. I think he can take a shoulder from you."'
I'll be at the Pasadena rink tomorrow night for our regular pick-up night. Since the Kings suddenly have some free time on their hands, consider this blog post an invitation to any member of the team who wants to swing by. I know I'd consider it an honor to get smeared into the boards by Jack Johnson and I'll tuck my insurance card into my socks for whoever gets stuck taking me to the hospital.

--Hymon

No comments:

Post a Comment