Thursday, September 23, 2010

Good drill for those looking for a healthy vomit

I went to a Kings practice in early 2009 and saw them run this drill -- I was just starting to skate and didn't really know what I was seeing. Courtesy Rich Hammond at L.A. Kings Insider:
– Dean Lombardi was a happy man this morning, because Murray brought out his favorite drill, the “pit” drill, in which Murray drags a net into a corner of the rink and has players battle 2-on-2 in tight quarters. “I run that drill at the end of the practice just so that the players can get some kind of physical contact under their belt,” Murray said. “I don’t want to let it run too long. I’m going with three reps per pair only. It’s very early, but we’re getting into the time when we have to start thinking about exhibition games, and that’s the kind of play that’s going to happen.”
The thing that impressed me about the drill was how physical it was: Kings defenseman Matt Greene and center Anze Kopitar were just checking the hell out of one another in front of the net. I remember thinking: these guys are teammates?

We do some one-on-ones and two-on-twos occasionally during our Wednesday night clinics and it's by far the most taxing drill we do. If you want to get in game shape, do these. And just be sure you are near a spot on the ice without plexiglass -- to prevent am embarassing pukage on the ice.

No comments:

Post a Comment