Friday, November 12, 2010

Post-hockey grub



In the annals, or anals, of best all-time food to eat after playing hockey, I assume Skyline Chili -- a Cincinnati delicacy -- has to rank up there.

I have to assume because I'm in Cincy and my hockey gear is regrettably 2,000 miles away, stinking up the driveway in Pasadena during my visit to a Red State.

As for Skyline, some of you are probably wondering WTF is that in the above photo. Is it food? A shredded construction cone? In short, it's a plate of spaghetti topped with very soupy chili, raw onions and a heap of shredded cheddar cheese. The thing on the left is a cheese coney -- hot dog, mustard, chili, onions, more cheese.

It is to die for. Especially with a little bowl of oyster crackers. 

The most noteworthy thing about Skyline is that everything is overwhelmingly processed. I'm not sure that anything above has anything natural in it. I'm not sure I care. The only thing missing from the photo is the traditional dessert at Skyline: a handful of Peppermint Pattys because everyone knows that chili + chocolate = a digestion system that purs like a Ferrari.

More Cincy culinary delights soon....

--S.H.

No comments:

Post a Comment