Friday, October 30, 2009

Giant pumpkin at Bellagio--most impressive thing I saw in Vegas



What does a 632-pound pumpkin have to do with hockey? Nothing! Sometimes Puck Boy has to leave the L.A. area for a little soul replenishment, even if it means a few days of no skating. Bummer, but what can you do?

I stayed at the Paris hotel in Las Vegas last night en route to Zion National Park in southwestern Utah. The Paris hotel is supposed to remind you of what it's like to be in Paris. Although I'm generally un-cultured and my travels somewhat limited, I've actually been to Paris.

And what do the Paris hotel and Paris, France, have in common? Pretty much nothing. One looks like a shopping mall inhabited by mostly obese or the extreme aged and smells like an ashtray soaked in donkey urine, while Paris looks like one of the planet's great cosmopolitan cities with splendid architecture, food and -- it must be said -- beautiful French women.

Thus the reason my traveling companion and I took a walk across Las Vegas Boulevard to the Bellagio, a hotel that actually -- even by Vegas' low standards -- is pretty nice. I dropped $40 in slot machines that I could have just as easily balled up and tossed in the toilet, but I was under the delusion that I may win a zillion dollars and spend the winter at Jackson Hole.

But at least I got to see a giant pumpkin and I'll be honest about this -- there's just something about giant gourds that always makes me smile.

I'll post more from the trip even if it has nothing to do with hockey. After all, it's my blog and I'm working for free and maybe one of my three regular readers may learn something.


--Steve Hymon

No comments:

Post a Comment